Yo!
I noticed a year and a half or so ago that Goodreads allowed users to set book goals for themselves. Now, I no longer use Goodreads, but I do still keep a record of the media I consume. Yet I've never done it monthly, nor had goals to hit.
This year is different, though! I don't have a "goal," per se, but I am going to keep track of all the books I read per month. I'll make a blog post on the ones I have most to say about every trimester of the year. So on the last day of April, I'll come back and write about the books I've read in my time from January to then. I'll do this again in August and December, so if you're interested, stay tuned.
In other news, I queried my first agent! I haven't heard back yet, but any news is good news here. If I get rejected, It's another motivator in bettering myself, my writing, and finding ways to improve. And it goes without saying why a manuscript request would be a good thing.
I've been normally pretty quiet on this blog, but I don't mean to be -- I'm just working on things right now. That includes a few MS's that I intend to finish by this year or early next year. One of them is 2/3rds of the way done, but I've sat on it for a bit to roll out the kinks in my biggest project. The other two I started within the same week, and write in every day. The fantasy-adventure I began this month is a project I write during the day, and the fantasy comedy/drama thingy I work on exclusively after 1 a.m. It's part of the flow, bro.
I'm calling them Oddity Collection Service, Where Sky Meets Sea, and Robin's Books respectively. I normally have a bit of discomfort in revealing my titles, but I think that insecurity is a little unfounded after seeing so many writers talk about their projects openly online. And even if it's taken, a title is a title. Many books have similar-or-same titles.
I've outlined all these books differently. Oddity Collection Service has a very detailed, three-part outline with bullet points on all major events coded in various bolds, underlines, and colors. Where Sky Meets Sea is a book in which I have outlined each chapter, but I go more by the theme of each chapter instead of the events, and let the story go where it needs to. Robin's Books is the closest I can get to being a Pants writer. I'm a Plotter at heart, so I always leave myself notes when I'm done with a section in Robin's Books on what I want the story to cover next, but other than that I just let whatever happens happen. It attributes to the tone as well, a kind of tongue-in-cheek sort of thing with solid direction but not much consistency.
I can't say which one I enjoy writing more. Oddity Collection Service is a bit of a chore because I created extensive vocabulary the narrative adheres too. It's also set in our world, which is not my strong suit nor my preference. But the idea captured my imagination and I have big plans for the story, so I can't just not do it.
Where Sky Meets Sea is set in a world unlike other fantasy worlds, but I'll keep the twist to myself for now. I have a clear vision of the moral and themes in that story, but characterizing is a bit of a challenge, especially with the "circumstances" of the lore, if you will.
Robin's Books is honestly just an experiment. I love it to death, and I have no intentions of putting it on hold simply because of how I write it -- but I'm keeping realistic expectations. I know people out there would love it, I know it... but for now it's gonna stay my little secret. That includes the premise.
I hope I didn't bore anyone. I don't have many readers either way, but I'm a writer who rarely blogs about actual writing, which I have realized is not in my best interest. Regardless, I'm gonna keep chugging along, and this blog will be here to record my progress.
Until next time. Goood bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment