Tuesday, December 25, 2018

LEGO Minifigures: The Perfect Character Design


In recent years the trend of the Funko Pop has skyrocketed. In their documentary, Making Fun: The Story of Funko, we see the actual story of the toy getting its start as a single mascot created and sold by one man. Since then, his empire has become one of the largest collectible manufacturers in the world, with a signature style and a scathingly large list of franchise licenses. From Game of Thrones to Pokemon, DC Comics, Marvel, and even things like The Simpsons and The Breakfast Club, Funko Pops have littered the shelves of bookstores, geek culture outlets, and subculture clothing stores like popcorn in the aisles at the local theater. As much of a trend as they first appeared to be, they've amassed a huge following, and seem to be here to stay.

I think the idea of taking recognizable and beloved genre characters from many separate franchises, and assembling them into a single visual style is noble and charming. I don't quite know what else to say--when you've got Sora from Kingdom Hearts standing beside Darth Vader from Star Wars and even the writer George R.R. Martin himself, the geek in me squeals. I love these things and these characters, so to have them together, looking like they all belong in the same universe, is a collector's dream. 

But if I may be a bit frank, I'm not the biggest fan of Funko pops. They're a great idea, and I hold no opinions of mine with snobbish or malicious intent to the creators (who, by the way, I am very happy for). But I don't like how they look. They're kind of... ugly. Big box head. Round, lifeless eyes. Most don't even have a mouth, unless the mouth is essential to the character design. Their enormous craniums sitting on their tiny bodies is eponymous of anime and the "super deformed" style of chibi, but they're not charming. They're just... plastic. Or vinyl, I suppose. 

I own a total of one (Batman in his 1989 suit--number 144) and I haven't even taken it out of the box. 

Yet the core idea of taking characters from fiction and imposing their looks and designs into a single style--and having them be physical things, things us nerds can collect and fiddle with--is still very appealing to me. I would argue that the Nendoroid collectibles are everything Funko Pops should be, with their impeccable quality--but yes, $45 is quite a bit more than $11. Figma are also a contender, but they don't use a uniform design philosophy. While staying true to the character, the novelty is a little faded. 

That's where LEGO comes in. 

I've spoken of LEGO on this blog before, and I make no effort to hide it. I love it. The brand is one that's been in my life since I could walk, and I've grown up with it and haven't grown out of it. Eventually, pushing around cars and making zooming noises goes away, but when you're like me and still enjoy the presence of the object, it now becomes, "How can I change the design of this car?" and "What else can I add to it?" 

It's a common thing. the LEGO hobby is very popular with adults, with us enthusiasts known as "AFOL's," or Adult Fans of LEGO. You better bet this stuff isn't just for kids, with that $400 - $800 price tag on some of the larger sets (lookin' at you, UCS Millenium Falcon). 

But what does LEGO have to do with Funko? Well, besides both of them being toys, not much--but there exists an entity within the LEGOsphere that captures character design in a uniform style quite a bit better than the boxy-drabness of Funko. At least, if you ask me, that is. 

The Minifigure.

You all know these little guys. The buildable men, women, aliens, and robots of the brand, with their yellow skin (or normal skintones for licensed themes), claw hands, and posable legs. Their charm is unparalleled. 

Now, you may be thinking, but that's just the character that comes in the set. The real LEGO is the bricks you use to build your spaceships, tanks, and moon bases with. 

And I can't dispute that. I don't want to. LEGO has always been about creativity and what it is one can do with its bricks, but LEGO has also recently taken to adapting pop culture in their sets. If you're a fan of the company, you may know that in the 90's, The LEGO Group (abbreviated TLG) was failing, and losing money big. If they didn't do something that would ensure the longevity of their brand, they were likely to bite it. So, being that Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was releasing in theaters at the time, they snatched up the license to the franchise. LEGO has had a long history of being "pacifist," but they decided that, because Star Wars was fantasy, it would be okay. 

And it was. It was more than okay. To this day, they have produced hundreds of Star Wars sets, with dozens each year, and the theme continues to be a top selling one in their product line. Since then, they've taken licenses like Harry Potter, DC Comics, Marvel, Disney, Lord of the Rings, and many others. 

It's caused a bit of controversy with older fans, and I also can't dispute that. Some say making sets on movies, games, or comics takes creativity out of it. To that, I say, bah-humbug. I call BS. No one is telling you not to recreate whatever you want with the sets pieces.

But there is some discord among supporters too. Desirable characters are placed in large, expensive sets, so when the minifigures are a big selling point for the target audience (children, of course), it can seem a bit scummy. I agree in a sense, but I don't have a problem with the practice. Companies are companies, and companies have to make money. They aren't obligated to put Darth Vader in a $5 set. 

But we're getting off topic! What is it that makes the minifigure so good? Allow me to tell you! For one, LEGO works in a design parameter called "The System." In fact, conventional sets, made with classic bricks and minifigures, are called "System sets." This means that everything is created to be able to interact and be compatible with everything else. Bricks from 1954 can still fit with (and still look like) bricks from today, and the same goes for minifigures. They each can be taken apart, from the head, the body, the legs, and other things like beards/backpacks/hair/helmets. (You can also swap arms and hands, but doing so forcefully is dangerous. Minifigures come with their hands and arms already assembled). 

Their legs, both the bottoms of their feet and the backs of their legs, have anti-studs, which are the tubes LEGO bricks use to connect with one another. This means they can be placed on studded surfaces and stay standing, or be sat down and stay sitting. Their hands are the perfect shape to not only hold bricks, but grasp tubing that's commonly used in the sets as well.

The shape of the minifigure is welcoming and friendly. It's also a decently blank canvas for a variety of outfits, body types, and ranges of height. Usually, people who are 5'4 are quite a bit shorter than those who are 6'2, but in LEGO, the height difference isn't a big problem because the ratio of leg-to body-to head is just the right amount to where the character's look is captured anyway (They do have three sizes of leg, though).

With both practicality and simplicity, the design of the minifigure can make the character "cute" while still keeping the essence of the character's presence. While smaller details like shoes, rings, or earrings aren't always included, the toy itself is still a good representation of the actor or animated model. While the minifigure's detail has seriously grown in recent years, the likeness of the character is usually always preserved. 


Not only does their small size make them easy to rearrange and endearing, but it also leaves collectors with easier spacial management. While a single shelf can hold maybe five to ten Funkos, the minfigure can take up far less space with more than twice the units. 

And yes, minifigures largely come in the sets, but with the advent of the Collectible Minifigures line, getting desirable characters has never been cheaper. They do come in blind bags, but with a little practice and patience, it is not hard to feel out the elements of a character you want if you know what they look like. Getting that one figure you want online is still expensive (and no easier thanks to scalpers; looking at you, you two horrible people from Barnes and Noble), but 'tis the hardships that come with the hobby.

And, well, sure, we won't be getting Game of Thrones, Blade Runner, The Witcher, or any other R/M rated characters in LEGO form, but that doesn't mean we can't make them with pieces we already have. That's the joy of their functionality as building toys! Customization is a huge bonus.

And, yes, there are some stinkers. But that isnt the fault of the model's design, it's a combination of resource management (how well LEGO can justify making new parts) and lack of information on behalf of the licensees. But I'm not here to make too many excuses. I think I've done my part. These little guys are a perfect thing for the geek-culture collector and I have yet to find anyone that doesn't at least find them cute. Maybe I'm just gushing (I'm definitely gushing), but these dudes have helped me through a lot, and I think it's important for one to know why one likes something.

Here's a little army of em' I have at my computer desk--

(From left to right - Chell (Portal), The Doctor (Doctor Who), Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter), Peter Pan (Disney), Wonder Woman (DC Comics))

If it's not for you, that's okay too. More for me. 

Love letters to some of my favorite things are a great way of catharsis, and this blog of mine has really helped me out. In closing out this year, however, I vow to complain more, as my blogs are usually pretty positive, and everyone does enjoy a bit of a rant. Thank you for staying with me my first year of blogging, I look forward to a lot more in the future!

Keeping reading, keep writing--and in this case, keep building. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change of Plans - I've been Journaling

Hello everyone. It's been a while, hasn't it? Six whole months -- the year is half over. In January, I wrote a 2023 plans post (whic...